Monday, June 18, 2007

First few days in Madagascar

So, I landed safely in Tana after being in South Africa for a night. We were met by a group of current PCV's at the airport, so we had a warm welcome! Then we packed into a van and drove about 2 hours to the town I am training in called Manjakandriana. Its in a higher elevation, so its a little chilly.. probably feels like 50 degrees or so. Its an amazing sight though.. there are so many hills/levels of housing. Its hard to explain. So, last night we had a crash course on Malagasy, learning about 6 words, and then were taken to our host family's. My family is SO NICE! The mother= neni, pronounced nay-knee, is about 42 and owns a little store out of her house. The father=dada, pronounced dah-dah, is 41 and works as a construction worker. They have three children. Ravo, an 18 yr old boy, Ando, a 16 yr old girl, and an 8 yr old named Taratra. They are all so friendly, and really excited to use the few years of English they have learned in school to talk to me. I was shown my room, which is a little attic room, with wood ceiling and floors and like a cement like walls. It had a bed, with a foam mattress, pillow, 2 chairs, 2 tables, a chest, and a water filter. I also received blankets, which helped since it was a little chilly last night, but I LOVED it. Perfect sleeping weather for a Wisconsinite. I also have a bucket in my room to use for a shower, which I take outside. Then I have my new best friend, called a Po, pronounced with a long O. This is where I go to the bathroom after dark. People here don't go outside to the outhouse at night. Its just weird. So, I christened it last night! I woke up and had to pee so bad, and of course sat there a while and was like.. I don't want to wake anyone with the loud noise of peeing in the middle of the night. But, I then realized I had 6 more hours to sleep so I did it, and it was fine. All I know is that my leg muscles are going to be so buff after this! So, last night after the tour, I showed my family all of the pictures of my family, home and friends, which they loved! They especially enjoyed the christmas photo of my crazy family! Then, after a lot of awkward laughing because I didn't understand.. and constant searching through my malagasy dictionary.. we sat down for dinner. On this old table we all sat and ate rice, and a soup with broth, carrots, potatoes, onions, and green beans. It was delicious. Then we had bananas for desert and I had tea, which was actually just the water that the burnt rice was boiled in, they drink it as tea after their meal. It was fine. Then, I said I was tired, said thank you and headed upstairs. My family has sporadic electricity, so I heard a tv going and dogs barking and pigeons while I was falling asleep. I went to sleep at 8 and woke up at midnight, wide awake. I tossed and turned and finally fell back asleep and woke up when a rooster crowed about 5 am. I woke up, ate pancakes for breakfast, with a jam, and butter, and coffee.. with sugar and powdered milk. It was amazing! Then, I walked to town with my Neni, and to the peace corps training center. So, anyways.. life is amazing right now. I have seen so much poverty, that its taking some time to deal with. I can't even explain what its like. Words will not do justice. I will show pics when I return. But, the landscape is amazing... rolling hills with rice fields everywhere.. and markets everywhere.. and people everywhere. Right now, I'm just attempting to learn some language so I can stop laughing when I dont' know how to explain things to my family. Just wanted to let you all know that I am healthy, well, and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment