Friday, November 30, 2007

Seasons and a wedding

I can't believe its the holiday season because it sure doesn't feel like it here. It is getting progressively hotter, and the rainy season is about to start. The fruit seasons have changed. Mangos and lychees are delicious and selling like hotcakes right now. I also had a first sighting of small peaches and plums, which will be coming into season soon. I'm absolutely LOVING every second of having fresh fruit everyday whenever I want it. the fruit juices are going to rot my teeth, but I feel as though its worth it for the time being. The tamarind and papaya juices and passion fruit juices are like none I have tasted in the States. So good. People make their own flavored rum here too. They just stick the fruit in it and let it sit for a month. Theres vanilla, strawberry, pineapple, banana, and even ginger flavored rum, and its really good with the fresh fruit juice.

Its the start of the cyclone season, so I'm a little worriedly anxious to experience my first cyclonic wind. plus I think the torrential downpours will be a sight to see. I've been warned to stock up on unperishables and to have at least a weeks worth of clean water if a cyclone warning has been issued. But thats a little hard to do considering there is only one store in my town that sells canned goods, and they are one weeks paycheck for a can of corn or mushrooms. Looks like rice and spaghetti noodles will have to do.

its weird to think that I have been so busy that I haven't had time to even think about being homesick or lonely. I guess thats a good thing? It also helps that I kinda sorta have a close friend of the boy persuasion. so, thats my malagasy indirect way of saying I'm hanging out with someone. Most malagasy people are extremely indirect and are taken aback by how forward many americans are... but as I am actually the worst person in the world to ever directly confront someone, I fit in perfectly. I understand exactly what they mean because it is how I would say it! ha. anyways.. so my "sipa". (sipa means person you are dating, but its nongendered. this langaguage is very cool because it doesn't gender things like english or the romance languages.) he's around my age (I will be 25 January 25th Golden birthday, whoot whoot!!). He grew up in a small town of about 400 people. He has a huge family, something that we have in common, and his parents still live in the little village. His mom is an elementary school teacher nearing retirement, and his dad is farmer. He went to university in the capital here in Madagascar, but wants to study more. He's super social and the smallest thing makes him happy. He is almost fluent in English and loves learning about my culture, but also deeply respects his own culture. Its fun learning and teaching each other about our lives. He lives 6 hours away though, so right now I see him about twice a month. As for now, he makes me happy. I met his entire family, including aunts and uncles when I went to his sisters engagement party two weekends ago. Its a malagasy tradition for the female to invite the males entire family to their village and throw a party for them. Cows or pigs are killed, and tons and tons of rice is eaten. There is a dinner, speeches, and a dance at night. before the dinner, the male's family waits in a tent-ish type makeshift building for the female to arrive. Before the bride-to-be goes in, they send in three other females to try to trick the groom-to-be. They walk up and he says whether its the right women or not. Its really funny to watch, and actually extremely hilarious to participate in. Of course, me being the spectacle there cuz I'm white, they sent me in as one of the three fake brides. I wish I could reenact the look of shock and laughter on everyones face as a "vazaha" total stranger walked into the tent acting as though I were going to be the future bride. They loved it, and of course I ate that attention up! ha! after that, everyone had to dance with me.. so of course I took turns with tons of people dancing until the next morning. (someone has to be dancing all night long or else the party isn't officially a party, seriously) I was drenched in sweat, covered in dust and loved every second of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment