Sunday, January 20, 2008

Teachers' New Year's Party

I want to tell you about the new puppies I have just acquired! There is one male and one female. The male's name is Ba kiraro fotsy (White Socks) and the female's name is Charbone (Charcoal). They have been keeping me busy as I have to cook them rice and ground beef with greens three times a day, and take them for short walks around the high school compound. I had to go to the vet to get them worm pills and flea powder. Lets just say that this is the first time I’ve seen whole worms being pooped out of something. Those two were full of them! But they are gone now, so that’s good. The male is a little rascal. He likes to play and walk off exploring things. The female is a cuddler and listens and learns fast! She already knows how to sit for a treat in two languages! Hehe. They make me smile lots here… so they are a good addition to my life. The students think I’m crazy that I give them baths and take them on walks and don’t let them wander the streets. But I figure I’m teaching them about dog care in American culture. I’m always on the job!!

Its Sunday morning right now, and I just woke up after a long night of dancing, singing karaoke, eating, and drinking soda pop with the staff of the high school I work at here. We had a New Years party for the teachers, and yes I know it was January 19 yesterday! I’ve heard that New Years parties happen until the end of February here. It’s kind of a big deal! Anyways… everyone was dressed to the nines. I’m talking homemade prom dress type gowns and dress pants/shirts and ties. Of course the styles were right out of the 80’s or early 90’s, but they looked good. Of course no one told me that it was such a fancy occasion, so I showed up in jeans. Good thing they are considered nice dress here. So the party started by all of us sitting in the Proviseur’s living room lined up against the walls with a long table covered in food (and two whole cooked baby pigs!). The Proviseur (Head Principal) and the Proviseur Adjoint (Assistant Principal) gave speeches and showed a slideshow of pics from the last 4 months of the school year using the only projector in town. Then they all sang a Protestant church song and gave a Catholic prayer and had a moment of silence in remembrance of the death of the man who our high school was named after. Then everyone went up to get the snacky type food and drinks and the music started blasting. The Proviseur and Proviseur Adjoint were both decked out in full white suits, which is considered high class here since most people can’t afford to keep white clothes clean here. And they were the first people to start dancing and were walking around pouring drinks and singing. It was really fun to see them have fun! Men here are not shy about dancing or singing, which I have noticed as a HUGE difference between cultures. Soon everyone, and I mean the entire room of people, started dancing and the karaoke was soon to follow. I was forced to sing Celine Dion, My Heart Will Go On, because they love her here. I still don’t understand how it is decided what American/English songs get to be chosen as cool here. But, it was a blast…and despite my lack of singing talent, they all were focusing on my English pronunciation, so I’d have to say it was the best performance of my life. It was a good time, and strangely weird that I didn’t feel weird. That is to say, I’m used to living here and the party felt normal, not like I was watching the National Geographic channel like I have felt in the past. So, if it makes any difference to any of you… I think I’m finally “tamana” which means “well-settled” in Malagasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment